Monday, March 31, 2008

Original Video Content, Cruisin' USA, STILL ALIVE, and More.

Original Film Releases on LIVE Marketplace.

Mediaweek is reporting that Safran Digital Group is going to be releasing six original short films that are going to be exclusive to the XBox LIVE Marketplace. However, the man who runs SDG, Peter Safran was a producer of an abortion of a movie. Maybe you've heard of it. It's called Meet the Spartans.

When I first read the news story, I was excited because I'm not going to rent movies on my 360 that I can go buy for twice the price and watch as much as I want and this allows me cheap access to some experimental indie films. However, now that I know that this yahoo is in charge of the company that is going to be releasing said films, I have little to no faith that this experiment will work on a business level.

"Cruisin' Virtual Console"

Cruisin' USA has been released on Virtual Console on the Wii this week. The mid-late 90's arcade racing game that was very much like outrun in it's gameplay, but had it's own unique feel to it. This just brings me back to my childhood. Playing this game for hours on end on my N64 with my friends was awesome. I can hardly wait to DL and play this game.

Rock Band DLC is "Still Alive"

Rock Band DLC this week is the Jonothan Coulton epic, "Still Alive" from the game "Portal." By the way, it's also free.The VP of product development at Harmonix, Greg LoPiccolo, stated that the free song is a kind of "Thank You" to all the supporters of their game.

This song is probably the best video game song ever created. If someone knows of a song from a game that is more melodic and more entertaining, please post here to refute my claim. The fact that this song is being released at all for Rock Band (much less, for free) really shows how in tune with gaming culture the higher-ups at HMX really are, and thus my respect for them is massive.

No comments: